MGSO4 Festival is pleased to announce a new open arts commission to celebrate the 400-year anniversary of the discovery of Epsom Salts and the festival theme ‘Discovery.’
We invite artists, groups and creative activists working in any genre of the arts to submit a proposal on the theme of Discovery. The commissioned artist or group will receive a £1500 fee.
The final selecting panel will include: Mark Hudson, Head of Graphic Design at University for the Creative Arts, international festivals producer Yemisi Mokuolu, MGSO4 Festival director Maria Reeves, composer-musician Ben Tompsett, and charity trustees.
Proposals must meet the following criteria:
- The commission must deliver a piece of work that can be experienced or viewed by the public during the festival week 2nd – 8th July 2018.
- The artist/group must deliver two workshops during the festival to accompany the work that members of the public can attend.
- The artist/group must agree to participate in promotional activities (e.g. press interviews.)
- The named person submitting the proposal is responsible for ensuring it is delivered, and must be over the age of 18.
What we are looking for
A panel will consider the merits of each proposal in terms of:
- Originality or innovation
- How well the work will engage people.
- How well the work represents MGSO4’s values of quality, inclusivity and aspiration.
Terms and conditions:
- MGSO4 will identify a venue for the work and provide volunteers to support the workshops.
- A fee of £1500 will be paid by MGSO4 to the lead artist or organisation, following the delivery of the work and workshops.
- The fee must cover all costs. No additional claims can be made for materials, installation or personal expenses such as travel or accommodation.
- Any under 18s involved in delivering the work are the applicant’s responsibility and they must undertake to meet MGSO4’s safeguarding requirements.
- Shortlisted applicants may be contacted to obtain further details if they are required to make a final decision.
The closing date for applications is 4th December 2017. The selected proposal will be confirmed by 15th December 2017.
To submit please download the proposal form and email the completed form to us, along with your CV.
If you would like to propose a festival project on the theme, but don’t wish to apply for the commission, please get in touch using our contact form.